I have had few things on my mind lately that I want to put down on paper so I don’t forget them, because as good as my intentions seem to be I still forget. Mostly about the kids, but also about other things.

A few weeks back when it was first starting to get cold, Jenny came bursting in the door after school, just crying, sobbing, heart-broken. I was instantly concerned, gathered her in a hug and asked her what was wrong. She told me that on the way home from school, she had found a salamander frozen and dead in a puddle. If you  know Jenny at all, this won’t surprise you. She loves animals of every kind, especially the cute little ones – like salamanders, and loves taking care of them and nurturing them. She was still pretty sad after telling me, and asked me if we could walk back and put it in a box so we could bury it in our backyard. We did of course. It is hard to put into words why an experience like this melts a mother’s heart. Maybe it is the sadness I saw and felt through Jenny, or maybe it is the compassion I see she has for all living things or both. Just tonight she came to me and told me she found a box elder bug that was missing a leg and how sad she was for the little thing. And for Christmas she wants a dog. If she can’t have a dog, she wants a lizard. If she can’t have a lizard she wants a fish. I might be missing another sort of pet in the middle, but you get the idea. And I guess this love of nurturing would stem to plants as well. Oh, what a sweet nurturing spirit she has and I can see it with her siblings, too. Well most of the time.

Lucy is our little drama queen or princess lately. She was crying about something the other day and she said, “I am not going to be happy again ever in my whole life!” Of course it was hard for the rest of us to not just start laughing because Lucy is usually the always happy. Tonight she was playing a game of pretend with Tommy and I heard her say in the most dramatic voice you can imagine, “Mother! Go get Lucy! She is stuck in the fire and she can’t get out!!!!” I’m not sure who the mother in the game was. Maybe Tommy or one of her stuffed animals?!

Tommy continues to be the sweetest little boy. He learns things so quickly I can’t keep up with him. Some of his favorite phrases right now are: Where’dit go? Dere it is! I foun it! Morning, Dada! Turn it on, a mumic (music). A stinkie. A change it. (I am trying not to hold my breath on what this could mean.) A scared him! (meaning it scared me) Take him! (Take me or hold me) A makin’ dinner, Mama? It’s coming! A watch a car moomie (movie). A firssy (thirsty). A drink. Pea. He still can’t say Lucy’s name very well and calls her Woohie. Or when he is teasing her he calls her Woohie-inda or Woohinda. He can say his S’s, but has just recently started to put them into a few words.

In church he knows almost all the names of everyone in our congregation, so during Sacrament meeting he is talking about everyone he sees. He still adores the game peekaboo. And loses his fear of anyone if I ask him to give them a hug. At least for the moment it takes to give the hug. And one of the quickest ways you can warm up to him is by tickling him. He is still very much a mama’s boy, but hardly bats an eye when I take him to nursery, thankfully. He loves everything that has to do with vehicles, or balls still. His most recent interests include making pretend meals and desserts and feeding them to us and taking care of little baby dolls. He will have me put their pajamas and diaper on, then he will feed them with a bottle and tuck them into bed with a little blanket.

Matthew is still battling psoriasis. Thankfully, it is not something life threatening and is nothing more than a nuisance. He has a very good attitude about it and as he begins to be more open with people about it, he has relaxed a lot. We all hope that it will go into remission soon, but until it does, we will just keep fighting it with the daily ritual of baths, shampoos, ointments, and lotion. We are seeing a very good Pediatric Dermatologist so that helps, too. We are trying to look at this as a learning experience. Matthew has said that he notices and has more compassion for people with physical ailments. We are all learning patience. And I am sure there is more to learn, so we will just keep praying that we learn the lessons God has in mind for us out of this experience. I personally feel much hope in this situation and in others areas of life. Our Heavenly Father is mindful of us all and will bless us with what we truly need if we will but ask Him.

Comments

Jamie said…
I love these little ones:) What sweet stories. It just makes me miss you all so much more:)
Caitlin said…
Great update! Your kids talk so much early! Good ole' Paine is taking his sweet time and likes to act like he can't talk and then surprise us to see our reaction. :)

Hope Matthew starts feeling better! I have icthyosis and it is no fun! However, I have controlled it and almost eliminated it with diet. Have you looked into that for Matthew?

Hope you all are well!
Erin said…
You are such an awesome mom. Thanks for writing these thoughts down for us. It helped me tonight:)
I just love reading about your kiddos and their sweet unique little personalities! Wish we could see you guys again soon! Miss you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jumping Back In!

He is here!

Ramblings.